I hope you’re all enjoying this months book. Don’t forget that the meeting will be on 30th April. Here are some questions to think about while you’re reading:
- What difference, if any, does the use of the present tense for the narrative voice make to our experience in reading the novel? Why do you think the author chose it?
- This book provides the reader with a moral dilemma, do you side with Dr Caldwell in her experiments to save the human race, or with Helen Justineau and her difficulty with separating the children from what they really are?
- How does the book portray the relationship between Melanie and Miss Justineau? Do you find it unsettling or reassuring? Does it change in the course of the novel?
- How did the explanation for the apocalypse make you feel, did the scientific basis leave you impressed or terrified?
- Do you view the ending as tragic or hopeful? And what do you think will happen next?
- Did you enjoy this book, and would you recommend it? If you would recommend it would you let that person go into it blind?
See you all next week!