I hope you're all enjoying the book for this month, and thanks to those who have let me know whether or not they'll be making it to the meeting on Thursday 28th November.
Here are some questions for you to think about over the next week while you're finishing off the book:
- What do you think of Cutter’s interpretation of Jehanne d’Arc? Is it different from others you have read or seen?
- How effective was the combined narrative of Jehanne’s voice, Jehanne retelling her story to Massieu, and the third person narrative of the story? How did reading Jehanne’s accounts alter your perspective of her story?
- Jehanne has a number of friendships within the novel. Who betrays her? Who remains a real friend to the end? What effect do these friendships have on Jehanne? Do you feel that her journey is ultimately a solitary one?
- Why are the men's clothing and the suit of armor so important to Jehanne? How does she transform according to what she has on? How does clothing define us?
- Why is it so important that Jehanne remain a virgin? Was she? Does it matter?
See you all on Thursday 28th November!